In the 19th-century, Hof 39 was a pharmacy. Pharmacies usually had a head of De Gaaper signifying their purpose, on the outside of the building. A copy of the original wooden head hangs outside the hotel.
The restoration of this building was based on historical records and many of the original architectural details have been retained. Some of the bricks uncovered during restoration date from 1250. The front of the building is an example of early 19th-century empire style.